Thursday, February 4, 2010

Housekeeping

I've spent the past few days takings things easy with Regex Storm. Mostly been replaying Mass Effect. :) But also fine-tuning things here and there on the site.

I made a few changes so that the ajax stuff feels zippier. I decreased the "are you done typing yet?" delay from 0.5 seconds to 0.25 seconds, and made the progress spinner pop up immediately (instead of after the delay) so the UI feels more responsive.

I also did some good old fashioned HTML/CSS reduction to save bandwidth and make ajax responses lighter. Tip: using shorter IDs for your controls in .NET can make a huge difference, especially with repeating or nested controls. Results vary depending on what's in the form, but in my test case I cut the response size by about 50%.

Also fixed a few browser bugs (silly IE7) and changed some styles (the site is in Arial now).

Maybe I'll finish Mass Effect this weekend. Then buy Mass Effect 2. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home